Saturday, March 15, 2014

Challenge #58

New Challenge

We are back again with another great challenge.  And let's talk about the word challenge for a minute here.  I found this color palette very difficult to work with.  To incorporate all of the colors was the challenge, it wasn't necessarily the colors themselves that was difficult, it was using them ALL.  Good luck and have fun with it.

With that being said, lets take a look...


Deadline for this challenge is 
March 31 at midnight EST

Guest Designers

We are so happy to have one of our fabulous guest designers back with us again this time around...





Design Team Inspiration

This challenge's tutorial is done by one of our co-founders Lisa Haiss.

The funny thing about this...I assigned myself this challenge, sat down on Wednesday to create a page and totally forgot to take pictures of the process.  So, I started over and it turns out that I liked this page even better.  Also, before I get started, let me apologize for the darkness of these pictures... I couldn't sleep last night and was up at 5 AM, so thought I would enjoy my coffee while scrapping!  :-)


The first thing that I normally do when presented with a color challenge is attack my scraps box.  I'm not one to throw anything away because I can always find a use for it.  Searching through the scraps, I pull out all the colors that match the current challenge.  It doesn't mean that I will use all that I pull, but it at least gives my a jumping off point.


Next, based on what I pulled from my scrap box, I then find a BG paper.  I had already chosen my picture at this point and I knew that I wanted to show movement on the page, so, I chose this paper that really kind of hurts the eyes to look at for too long, but really does well with our color theme.  You can see that in the picture below.


My BG paper came from My Mind's Eye, but as for the others... don't ask, because I can't remember.


I weeded out the ones I didn't like so much and above is what I'm left with.


For this particular page, I worked from a sketch that I had designed some time back and never used.  The picture above show the layout with none of the details.


After I have the general layout done, I go through all my stickers and embellies and pull those that match in color and in theme.  Once again, the stuff that I pull just gives my something to start with.  I rarely use all that I pull, but I'm a visual person and need to see what I have.


The original layout was too flat to me, so I had to add some texture.  I found this piece of weaved twine to place under the picture and I also punched the blue paper.


Since the picture itself is so dark, I needed more color underneath it, so I added the green ribbon.  I also started to mess with the embellies a bit.  There are gears on each side of the picture.  (I should have taken a closer shot of this, so I apologize).


To add that pop of fuchsia that is in the color scheme, I decided to paint some chipboard letters.  They were far too bright for my liking, so I ended up inking them to tone them down a bit.


In addition to my scrap box of papers, I also have a scrap box of embellishments and miscellaneous cutouts that I had not used.  I came across this black star and decided to slide it under the blue to ground the entire page and the bright pink chipboard piece.


Hope you enjoyed following along with my design process on this page.  It's interesting to me to watch other designers go through their process, because really, there is no right or wrong way.

Debi Clark


Caroli Shult


Tammi Bennett


Valerie Andrieux


Mary Bennetts


Crystal Schneider


Lisa Haiss


Leanne Kroschel


Alexandra Boehnke


Stephanie DiSabato


Lynn


Thanks for stopping by and supporting our challenge blog.  Don't forget about our fabulous prize this month!  Be sure to link your creation by the end of the month to be in the running!



2 comments:

  1. Lovely example, you were right; it was a little bit hard to use all the colours, but I do love the way it turned out! I just don't know why the linky isn't showing the entries for #58 ?
    Just in case here's my link http://sweetscrapsbykarrie.blogspot.ca/2014/03/remember.html
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great examples...all works are awesome, wish me luck!! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS